Make the Right Battery Match
Batteries used to be easy to spec, but not anymore. Today’s batteries are built for specific purposes and applications. So choosing a battery simply because it has the highest CCA rating won’t necessarily give you all the power you need.
To avoid this problem, you must first consider a vehicle’s electrical needs. Over-the-road haulers and their hotel loads require greater battery capacity than in-town trucks. Construction vehicles that travel rough terrain may need batteries that are vibration-resistant. And the use of 24/7 telematics and communication systems can drain the batteries of any truck in your fleet.
The key to getting the most life – and performance – from a battery is to make sure you know what you’re buying.
Some of the batteries most commonly found in today’s heavy-duty trucks include:
- Absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries can handle high heat and parasitic loads better than traditional flooded batteries. They are often used in over-the-road trucks and are also a good choice for high-vibration applications.
- Deep Cycling. Deep-cycling batteries are designed for regular deep discharging. They are able to handle the demands of hotel loads and HVAC systems, making them a popular choice for over-the-road vehicles.
- These batteries are also known as starting, lighting and ignition (SLI) batteries. They produce a high output of electrical charge over a short time, so they are best used for starting trucks. They are not built to handle the deep-cycling required by hotel loads.
- Dual-purpose. Dual-purpose batteries are designed to meet both short-burst starting requirements and deep-cycle needs.
Selecting the right batteries for a truck’s needs – and ensuring that they stay properly changed – helps extend the life of each battery.
An energy audit can help you identify how many amps a truck uses day-to-day. Of course, to properly spec a battery you also must consider a vehicle’s starter and alternator. Together with the batteries, the starter and alternator keep a vehicle’s electrical system working as it should.
Choose Road Choice® for Premium Cranking Power
Once you’ve determined your electrical needs, it’s time to look at top-quality Road Choice batteries. You can count on Road Choice Heavy-Duty Batteries to instantaneously crank even the toughest commercial engines. Road Choice Heavy-Duty Batteries are:
- Made in the United States
- Provide low-resistance, high-energy flow to the starter motor
- Designed to be maintenance free under normal operating conditions
- Engineered for maximum durability, with a reinforced ribbed case, shortage-protected plates, and anchor bonding for greater strength and vibration resistance
- Backed by an 18-month, unlimited-mile warranty
- Available for most truck makes and models