Reducing downtime is at the top of every fleet manager list. When the truck is unavailable, customer service, revenue, and driver satisfaction plummet.
HERE ARE SOME BASIC BEST PRACTICES TO REDUCE DOWNTIME.
- Create a Preventative Maintenance program. 80% of the downtime cycle is spent on non-wrench turning items. Preventing issues before they arise is the best course of action.
- Adhere to a routine schedule for PMs and avoid reactive maintenance.
- Create a checklist of PM service items to perform.
- Create a diligent record keeping program. Whether you have 1 truck or 1,000 trucks, creating a process and data mining ability is paramount to maintaining your fleet and establishing further best practices.
- And don’t forget: poorly maintained vehicles equal downtime.